Cord Blood Stem Cells Can Treat Over 80 Life-Threatening Diseases
Cord Blood – A Viable Stem Cell Treatment
Did you know that cord blood has been used for stem cell treatments for 20+ years to treat approximately 80 life-threatening1 diseases on more than 30,0002 patients worldwide?3 Stem cell therapies may one day be a first line therapy for your children.
Lifebank offers a once-in-a lifetime opportunity to capture these powerful stem cells that are unique to your child. Using cord blood from a family member instead of an unrelated donor has many advantages, most importantly increasing the odds of success.4-6
A successful stem cell treatment requires that the patient and the donor have closely matching human leukocyte antigen (HLA) types.7 Private cord blood banking ensures that your baby will have access to a 100% HLA match should a stem cell transplant be required. Also, HLA types are inherited from our parents, so private cord blood banking provides an increased likelihood of a close HLA match for a close family member (blood relative).
Overall, choosing the right bank for your family is an important decision. Lifebank is here to help you every step of the way. Call us at 1-877-543-3226 to find out more about cord blood banking, placenta blood banking and tissue banking.
- Cord Blood Association. Cord Blood Editorial Background and Fact Sheet. https://cord.memberclicks.net/assets/docs/Fact_Sheet_Dec_19.pdf. Accessed December 23, 2020.
- Ballen KK, Gluckman E, Broxmeyer HE. Umbilical cord blood transplantation: the first 25 years and beyond. Blood. 2013; 122:491-498.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. 2020: a new vision—a future for regenerative medicine. http://medicine.osu.edu/regenerativemedicine/documents/2020vision.pdf, Accessed December 23, 2020.
- Gluckman E, Rocha V. Donor selection for unrelated cord blood transplants. Curr Opin Immunol. 2006; 18 (5):565-570.
- Schoemans H, Theunissen K, Maertens J, et al. Adult umbilical cord blood transplantation: a comprehensive review. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2006:38(2):83-93.
- Kamani N, Spellman S, Hurley CK, et al. State of the art review: HLA matching and outcome of unrelated donor umbilical cord blood transplants. Bio l Blood Marrow Transplant. 2008(1):1-6.
- Parents Guide to Cord Blood. Frequently Asked Questions: What is HLA Type and how is it used? https://parentsguidecordblood.org/en/faqs#q-18118. Accessed December 23, 2020.